- If the set of communicating computers are within a span of a few hundred metres, then these computers are considered to be part of a LAN (Local Area Network).
- E.g. Networks within a home, office, building etc.
- Normally managed by a single administrative domain
- Supports high data rates and minimum delay
- Can be wired or wireless
- Typical LAN Protocols : 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n etc.
Given below are sample diagrams of a typical Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) LAN and a typical Home LAN